Shopping for the best jeans for women is one of the most tedious and dreaded tasks we undertake. Get it right and your life will be changed, but get it wrong and you’ll be left hugging your knees in the poorly-lit fitting room or lugging 6743288 pairs back to the Post Office to be returned.
Yet, as painful as it may be we continue to put ourselves through it. Why? Because denim jeans are the main ingredient to a functioning wardrobe. There really is nothing sweeter than finding the perfect pair of jeans that fit your body type like a glove.
Sure, denim trends come and go (goodbye, jeggings and skinny jeans; hello, baggy jeans and retro flared styles), but whatever cut is of-the-moment, they’re an item that fashion (and your capsule wardrobe) will never be without. But with different styles and trends emerging every season – horseshoe jeans, anyone?! – it can be
tricky downright impossible to know where to start. Plus, we need to be having the conversation of prioritising sustainable shopping habits and not replacing items we already own just because a new aesthetic or “era” dropped. Good thing you guys have us.
Skip to: Best jeans for women at a glance | Best jeans for different body shapes | Quick jean styles guide | Jean trends for 2024 | Shop the best jeans for women.
Best jeans for women at a glance:
If you’re in the market for a new pair of jeans, or you’re simply fed-up with sub-par, ill-fitting denim of seasons past, our ultimate buying guide to the best women’s jeans will have you stumbling across something comfy. ‘Cos as a result of wearing, loving and hating our fair share of jeans over the years, team GLAMOUR has found all manner of high street jeans, black jeans, best tall jeans, stretch denim jeans, cropped jeans and retro-inspired leg styles that’ll serve you very well. Consider your every denim need covered.
What type of jeans are best for my body shape?
Finding a woman who is the same jeans size across all of their favourite retailers is a rarity. In fact, we’d bet money it’s never happened. Sizes can vary wildly depending on the store you’re shopping in which is, for sure, disheartening. Our advice is to dismiss the numbers on the label, go for what you feel the most comfortable in (with or without the best shapewear) and be prepared to try on lots of styles. There’s not just one particular style for each body shape. And remember: clothes are supposed to fit your body, not the other way around.
On that note, your style choice is plentiful. There are cult denim brands like Levis and Lee, plus high street online clothing stores, premium high street brands and luxury designers all cutting their denim in different ways for different body types.
Feeling overwhelmed? Here’s a quick guide to the different styles for women:
- Mom jeans: Think Monica Geller from Friends – mom jeans are exactly what she wears. Fitted at the waist and hips and baggier around the leg.
- Straight jeans: All one shape the whole way down.
- Wide-leg jeans: Fitted around the waist getting gradually wider and wider down the leg.
- Baggy jeans: Provide that two-sizes-too-big effect. Loose everywhere.
- Flared jeans: Tight-ish until the knee, then ‘flare’ out as their name suggests for a ’70s finish.
- Cropped Jeans: Do what they say on the tin – they’re tight/skinny fitting all the way down.
- High-waist jeans: Sit high up on the waist.
- Low-rise jeans: Sit below the bellybutton.
- Boyfriend jeans: Tend to fit exactly how a pair of men’s jeans might fit a woman.
- Distressed jeans: Made to look like they’ve been worn for a long time purposely damaged or ripped
- Dad jeans: Similar to boyfriend jeans but slightly more vintage looking and tend to be mid-waist as opposed to low.
- Bootcut jeans: Slim fit through the upper legs that tapers at the knee then looses at the ankle. Traditionally, this was so that boots could be worn underneath the jeans, hence the name!
- Column jeans: Very similar to dad jeans but with a higher rise on the waist. They can be a bit baggier, too.
The denim jean styles that will dominate 2024
As a New Year is on the arrival and we look to celebrate a fresh start, we’ve been looking at which denim jean styles are on the autumn/winter what’s hot list and actually trending right now. Plus it would be rude not to take a sneaky peek at what’s on the ‘cool girl’ style horizon as we head into 2024 right? According to the catwalks, fashion editors, stylists and influencers alike, the rise of darker washes, wide-leg, baggy and barrel-leg silhouettes is set to be very popular next year. The rise in more of a tailored, western style has been everywhere on Instagram lately. However, our favourite upcoming trend of them all? Styling whichever denim jeans that you choose to wear or already own your way. It’s all about making it personal to you and we’re here for it. Let’s make uniqueness a thing again for 2024, shall we?!